Thank you for doing your part to reduce crowding on the Appalachian Trail by registering your Thru-Hike. Here are a few important registration tips:
- A registration is not a reservation.
- Thru-hikers with a partner can submit one registration.
- Northbounders: START SMART by beginning your hike at Amicalola Falls State Park. The dirt roads to Springer Mountain are likely impassable in February and March due to bad weather and extremely muddy and poor road conditions, and parking is limited near Springer.
- Southbounders and flip-floppers: Snow, ice and high water from snow melt make a Southbound hike from Katahdin prior to June 1 ill-advised.
- Thru-hikers only need to register a start location and date; you may enter your campsites, but it is not required.
To register your hike, follow these steps:
STEP 1: Use the Thru-hiker Registration Charts to pick a start day that is below the A.T's maximum camping capacity as shown by the red line on the registration charts. Crowding harms the A.T and during the pandemic is unsafe. Picking a start date over capacity makes it difficult to find a campsite, and creates barren, muddy campsites, lines at privies and water sources, food storage devices with no room, and an inability to physical distance. The purpose of ATCamp and the charts is to provide you with a tool so you can spread out.
THEN come back to this registration page to continue.
STEP 2: Select a starting point. The map will only display possible starting points until you select one and a start date. Once you select a starting point, the map will display shelters/campsites that you can add to your itinerary; ATCamp will automatically pick the consecutive dates.
TIP: Picking camping sites is not required for thru-hikers - Go to Step 3.
STEP 3: Click "Continue With Registration" to fill in your personal info, and when you are done click "Review Registration".
STEP 4: Check your e-mail for a message from ATCamp that confirms your registration and provides useful thru-hiking tips.
STEP 5: If your plans change, please cancel your registration on ATCamp so your spot will be available for another hiker.
This registration system is continually being improved. If you have questions or comments, please contact us - at email@example.com. Thank you!